All the flowers that grace your Shvuos table will surely be a delight to your eye, these will surely be a delight to you palette as well. Create them at any level, simple or sophisticated; any way you make them they’re sure to be a sensation.
- Flower pot (4” opening)
- 4” styrofoam ball
- 16 mini cupcakes
- Small silk leaves
- Fondant or frosting
- Choice of fondant flower plunger, flower mold or pastry bag with tip (available at baking supply stores)
I used rolled fondant for my bouquet, however, there are many ways to create the flower cupcakes.
Here are some suggestions:
Fondant: Form flowers with a fondant plunger or mold. You can stick the flowers to the cupcake with a little icing or just by dabbing a little bit water on them.
Frosting: There are many ways to make flowers using cream. Using different tips will create different flowers from roses to hydrangeas to sunflowers……You can even tint the pastry bag with food coloring to create different shades of colors in your flowers.
Place the Styrofoam ball into the planter. Push it in to secure.
Push the toothpicks into the Styrofoam and then attach the cupcakes. (I put 9 cupcakes around the bottom,6 in the middle and one in the center.
Fill gaps with leaves.
Photography by Dan Engongora
This melt-in-your-mouth kids (and adults too!) delight, is bound to become an all time favorite. Just take your favorite chocolate cake recipe, and follow these simple steps to create this lip smacking treat.
- 18 Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1-2” Cookie Cutter (optional)
- 1 Recipe Cream Filling
- Candy Pearls (available in candy and baking stores)
Recipe for Cream Filling
- 1 - 8 oz Whip Topping
- 4 T Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring-Optional
- Place whip topping into the bowl of your mixer.
- Beat until stiff.
- Add in confectioners sugar and vanilla extract . Beat 30 seconds until combined.
- Add in 1-2 drops of food coloring (optional).
Directions for Assemling Cupcakes:
- Slice off the top of the cupcake (position knife on an angle to remove extra cake to allow room for lots of cream. However, if you are doing the flower cut out version ,you will need to cut it straight across)
(For best results, cut when frozen.)
For flower version: Using a cookie cutter,cut out center of the cupcake “cover” .
Set “covers” aside.
2. Cut off the tip of one corner of a Freezer Ziploc bag. Place a star shaped piping tip in the hole (optional) .Put the cream into the bag. Pipe the cream into the center of the cupcake .
3. Place cupcake “cover “ on top of the cream.
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar (optional).
For flower cupcakes-place candy pearl in the center of the cupcake.
This article by EstherO. originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.