Just behind latkes, donuts are a favorite Hanukkah food. Here’s an idea to make this treat not only delicious, but also fun to decorate. This can also be used as an activity at a Hanukkah Party.
To begin, you can either make your own donuts (a small donut machine is relatively inexpensive), or purchase unglazed donuts from your local donut shop (you may have to preorder them). Spread out a variety of icings and toppings (see list below for ideas) and let the fun begin!
I prefer to put icing and toppings in small bowls and refill as needed,even if you are having a large crowd. This helps contain a potential mess, and also helps to ensure that the children don’t “overdo it”!
Recipe for Donuts (using a donut machine)
Yields: Approximately 24 mini donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk or juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- Place ingredients in the bowl of your mixer.
- Mix until combined.
- Preheat donut machine for about 5 minutes.
- Spray the cavities lightly with baking spray.
- Pour batter into each cavity-do not overfill.
- Close the machine and bake for about 3 minutes. Donuts should be golden color when ready.
- Repeat until batter is used up.
Donut Decorating Ideas:
- Icing(add food coloring or cocoa to make different colors)
- Confectioners sugar
Cookie dip and melted chocolate can be used as well however,you will need to keep remelting them as they harden up.
- Colorful sprinkles
- Confetti sprinkles
- Colored sparkling sugar
- Chocolate,caramel or nougat chips
- Candy pearls
- Chopped nuts
- Toasted shredded coconut
HAVE FUN DECORATING!!!!!!!!